Friday, February 27, 2009

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley


North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Synopsis from author's website:

From behind, you’d think Terra Cooper had it all: she’s tall but not too tall, has a figure to kill for, and boasts naturally blonde hair. But the palm-sized birthmark on her face might as well be her fate map. Everyone in her small, touristy town knows what’s hidden beneath the heavy makeup she’s worn since birth. Sick of being the town oddity and even sicker of her caustic mapmaker of a father, Terra yearns to escape the suffocating grid of her life. And then she nearly runs over an Asian Goth boy, her age…and encounters True Beauty in him…and herself.


Headley creates a character in Terra who is so complex, mixing insecurities with a grand life plan, and so endearing you can't help but love her and feel sympathy for her. She is a classically tormented artist but instead of being tortured by her art she is forced to deal with an emotionally abusive father and the waves of destruction that creates throughout her family. In an attempt to escape their father her brother abandon her and her mother. Terra is also tormented by the classic images that define beauty which she can never emulate because of the birthmark on her face. Instead of embracing what makes her different she tries to cover her face with make up and erase the mark with painful treatments. Even her boyfriend and best friend add to her insecurities without being aware of it.

Her life and the novel take a major turn when she nearly hits an Asian Goth boy with her car and the two form an unlikely friendship. The time these two spend together is the best part of the novel. Whether at home or on their trip to China Jacob is always brutally honest with her and pushes her to rethink all her preconceived notion of beauty.

The novel was incredibly beautiful and touching. You could feel every emotion Terra felt and just as deeply as she was. I am having a hard time putting in to words how touched I was by Terra's story and her transformation from someone who was trying to be invisible to someone who embraced all her beauty. It was also incredibly original that Headley braided map making throughout the entire novel. Terra's father is a cartographer, her brothers and her all have map related names, Terra's art always involves maps both literally and abstractly and Terra and Jacob go geocaching together.

I think Headley's work in this novel is completely brilliant. Her characters have layers and depth and the plot is incredibly original. I also really want to go geocaching now, in China, with Jacob and Terra.

I have so many favorite quotes from this novel but here are a few:
"The pressure of his touch through my jacket and my sweater was more assurance than any promise ever made to me. It was a touch that said, I have your back and I am here for you. If a girl wasn't careful, she could fall in love with a touch like that."

"There must be a few times in life when you stand at a precipice of a decision. When you know there will forever be a Before and an After."

"A pathfinder's job is hard enough - blazing trails where there are none, guided by nothing but hearsay and gut. While you're hacking your way through bracken, worrying about lurking beasts, all you can do is hope you had chosen the right direction."

10 comments:

Marie said...

This book really *was* amazing. I loved the whole mother/daughter thing... it felt so real!

Ladytink_534 said...

I'll have to see about getting this. It sounds like a story I would like alot.

NIA said...

Simply wish to say your article iss as astounding. The clarity in your submit is just nice and
that i could assume you’re an expert on this subject.
Well together with your permission let me to snatch your
fred to stay up to date with drawing clos post. Thanks one million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

Groovy Bot
Fast People Search
hulu error code p-dev320
vulkan run time libraries
0xa00f4244 nocamerasareattached
Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings

NIA said...

Howdy I am so glad I found your blog, I really found you by accident,
while I was researching on Digg for something
else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round exciting
blog (I also love thhe theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it
all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I
have ime I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep
up the fantastic b.

Yggdrasil bot Discord
void(document.oncontextmenu=null);
how to appear offline on steam
rarbg
Reboot and choose proper boot device
Write for us Technology

NIA said...


I was suggeested this blog by myy cousin. I am
not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detfailed about my difficulty.
You are wonderful! Thanks!


Write for us Gambling
Write for Gambling

Toney Wix said...

After study just a few of the weblog posts in your website now, and I really like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and might be checking back soon. Pls try my site as properly and let me know what you think.

Car Accessories

Toney Wix said...

Whats up! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you’ve right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your weblog for more soon.


december global holidays
uwatch,
desiremovie com,
klwap,
good night quotes,
13377x proxy,
enthusan

Toney Wix said...

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept
Shayari
love shayari
sad shayari
attitude shayari
Malayalam Quotes
inspirational shayari
romantic-shayari



Toney Wix said...

I’ll immediately snatch your rss as I can not to find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly permit me understand so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.


malayalam quotes
love quotes malayalam
sad quotes malayalam
motivational quotes in malayalam
friendship quotes malayalam

Rami Gupta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs