Thursday, February 12, 2009

Major Crush


Major Crush by Jennifer Echols

Virginia is a former beauty queen with a nose ring and a band uniform. She gives up the tiara and heels to be a drum major for her high school band but she has to share the title with Drew, who doesn't know she exists, even though she has a huge crush on him. When the new band director forces them to work together all kinds of sparks fly.

I really enjoyed this book. It is a fun, silly romantic comedy that I read in one sitting but it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Virginia and Drew are great together and Mr. Rush, the band director, is hilarious. He makes them do family style counceling and makes Drew tell Virginia she is pretty. He also constantly reminds them that if they don't make it work he will end up working at Pizza Hut.

While it is fun and silly there are some very real moments addressed in the book. Virginia's best friend Allison is an African-American beauty queen in Alabama and Echols didn't shy away from the racism that would come with that. And Virginia's parents are far from perfect but still very likable. And of course Drew's ex-girlfriend plays the role of evil villian perfectly.

This book was cute and fun and left me smiling so I would reccomend it if you are in the mood for something light. I am now even more excited to read Echols' other romantic comedy The Boys Next Door which I already have and her upcoming release Going Too Far which has a more serious feel to it.

Favorite quote: "I know. That's why they call it a crush. It weighs you down and keeps you from doing what you really want to do."

3 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I love the Simon Romantic Comedies!:) I gave this one to my sister and she really liked it.
-Sarah

Unknown said...

This looks cute!

Em said...

I really like this series, but I haven't read this one yet so I'll add it to my wishlist. :)

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs