Tuesday, January 20, 2009

D is for Deadbeat


D is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton

Well I am glad this one is Done. Of the first four in the alphabet series this one is easily my least favorite. I actually didn't care how it ended so long as it ended. As seems to be the case Kinsey starts working for someone and he ends up dead just a few days later.

John Daggett is fresh out of jail when he shows up in Kinsey's office asking her to track down a fifteen year old boy and give him a check for $25,000. But when Daggett ends up dead a few days later and the police rule it an accident Kinsey is off on a wild goose chase trying to figure out if there is anyone in Santa Theresa that wouldn't want him dead. There are the family members of the people he killed in a car accident, his own wife and daughter and the woman he "married" when he got out of jail just to name a few.

I found that I didn't care who killed him and I didn't care about the people left behind when he died so this book just didn't captivate me like the first three in the series. There were a few redeeming moments however, like an appearance from Mike, who's hair is now purple instead of pink and he has traded in the mohawk for a spiky do. Also Kinsey and Jonah get together in this book...OK so its just margaritas and dancing but his wife wants an open relationship and I hope it opens the door to Kinsey. My favorite line of the book is the banter between these two.

Up Next: well I am not sure. I am headed to the library tomorrow to pick up the next in the alphabet series and whatever else catches my eye.

This book counts toward my Library Challenge

No comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs