Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty


Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

Synopsis from Barnes and Noble:
Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.

When I read Sloppy Firsts I didn't quite understand why everyone loved this series so much. I liked it, but I didn't think it was great. Now I understand. Everything I disliked about the first book was improved upon and the second book was fantastic. I didn't find Jessica to be whiny or annoying in Second Helpings and I liked that we got some of Hope's voice even if it was through Jessica. I still think she is a little too sex crazed but I guess all characters have their faults.

What I loved was that she was actually conflicted about real things like her choice of college and she showed a lot of growth throughout the book. I loved her relationship with her feisty grandmother and that she gives other friends a chance instead of dwelling on Hope.

Did I want to scream that she shouldn't be dating Len and that she should forgive Marcus? Of course, but it was because I had finally gotten really involved in Jessica's life. Second Helpings is a great step up from Sloppy Firsts and I can't wait to keep reading the series.

This book counts toward my Library Challenge

1 comment:

Steph Su said...

Yes! I really enjoyed Sloppy Firsts when I first read it but went head over heels for Second Helpings. Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs