Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Weekly Geek - Tuesday Quotes

This is day four of this week's Weekly Geek assignment of daily quotes.
Weekly Geek home
My Saturday quote
My Sunday quote
My Monday quote
My Tuesday quote
My Wednesday quote

For today I am sharing quotes with another of my favorite writers. Dorothy Parker was truly a great writer and poet and one seriously funny, sarcastic, independent woman. You can learn more about her here.



Now, for some of my favorite Dorothy Parker quotes:

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force"
(this has always been one of my favorites but I have no idea what book she is talking about. can anyone help?)

"Men seldom make passes to girls who wear glasses"

"Four be the things I'd have been better without: Love, curiosity, freckles and doubt. "

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think. "

Many of her quotes have curse words or are a little, well, politically incorrect. And as much as I love all of them I am aware that not everyone does so out of respect to those readers I am gonna leave them off. But seriously, google Dorothy Parker quotes to read more. You will laugh, I promise.

My favorite quote was told to me by one of my journalism professors in college on the last day of his class (he happens to be my favorite professor and it was certainly one of my favorite classes.)
Parker was a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table and when she finally showed up to a meeting after missing a few everyone asked her where she had been. This was her very funny, and slightly dirty, response.

"I was f***in busy. And vice versa."

What a lady!

8 comments:

susan said...

Yes! Love me some Dorothy Parker. I know her as a poet. Haven't read a novel by her. I have quotes by her, too. Now I have more. Thank you.

Books Fall Open said...

Oh, I love Dorothy Parker. Especially that first quote, though I don't know which book she's talking about, either. Hmm. Now you've got me curious...

Anonymous said...

Those are some of my favorites too! So sharp, so funny. And the politically incorrect are among the best of her quotable comments.

Sandra said...

Wasn't she something? Great choice for quotes. She always reminded me of my mother. Thanks for the laugh, and the memories.

Alix said...

I love Dorothy Parker, she was wickedly funny. You picked some excellent quotes.

According to wikipedia the book was Atlas Shrugged

claire said...

Fun quotes! She's got a lot of spunk. :D

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

That was cool! Great quotes!

We nominated your blog for the I Love Your Blog award. You can check out our blog and pick up your badge and get the rules on how to keep spreading it. =D

Happy Blogging & Reading!

Susie said...

Yeah...that last quote is priceless.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs