Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Synopsis:

Bianca wants to escape.

At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas, he warns her to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.



Review:
I had a major love/hate relationship with this book (which my twitter friends can attest to). I loved the second half of the book but really hated the first half. Reading this book was a rollercoaster ride for me, I liked the beginning, got really ticked off in the middle and loved the second half.

My problems: I knew this book was about vampires but I didn't know much else so when the narrator didn't say anything about vampires through the first half of the book I assumed Bianca was as clueless as me. I assumed she would be let in on the secret at he same time I was. Well I was wrong and I really didn't like the way it was revealed. It made Bianca a really unreliable narrator and in my opinion, she either should have been honest with the reader from the beginning or the story should have been told from a different point of view.

What I liked: just about everything else. I love the relationship between Bianca and Lucas and the plot was great. I don't want to give too much away but this is a great story and I love the concept of the Evernight Academy I just didn't like the way it was revealed. As always my favorite character was one of the background characters, Balthazar, who seriously has the best name and it really understanding while also knowing how to kick a little behind. My suggestion, if you read this book be patient, the ending is worth it to get through parts that may be a little frustrating. In the end I was really glad I did and I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Stargazer.

Stargazer, the sequel to Evernight is released TODAY! So head out and get a copy! I have a wonderful copy from Gray sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read.

This book counts toward my Library Challenge and First in a Series

5 comments:

Reverie said...

I completely agree.... where were the vamps? and then BAM! she's a vamp?WTF?

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one confused in the beginning! But, alas, it was a great book at the end of it all.

I just posted my review of Stargazer. If you loved Balty in the first book you'll love him even more in Stargazer! He is my favorite too!

Ladytink_534 said...

Everybody seems to be reading this series lately! It's on my list so I'll get to it eventually so I'll try to keep your comments in mind :)

Anonymous said...

I've been on the fence with this book. I might save it until next year. I really don't want to start another series yet. Signed up for too many reading challenges to be playing around.

Alix said...

I was getting seriously bored with this book before the whole twist kicked in. I actually kind of liked that it completely caught me off guard.

I just finished Stargazer and really loved that one

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs