Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Deadly Sister by Eliot Schrefer: 1 ARC Tours


The Deadly Sister by Eliot Schrefer

Synopsis:
Abby Goodwin is sure her sister Maya isn't a murderer. But her parents don't agree. Her friends don't agree. And the cops definitely don't agree. Maya is a drop-out, a stoner, a girl who's obsessed with her tutor, Jefferson Andrews...until he ends up dead. Maya runs away, and leaves Abby following the trail of clues. Each piece of evidence points to Maya, but it also appears that Jefferson had secrets of his own. And enemies. Like his brother, who Abby becomes involved with...until he falls under suspicion.

Is Abby getting closer to finding the true murderer? Or is someone leading her down a twisted false path?


Review:


This book surprised me, in a really good way. I started out thinking the book was a really straight forward mystery that did a great job of showing how the family dynamic changed in the face of incredibly tragedy but there is so much more to it.



Schrefer does something really interesting in this novel, playing with the readers tendency to trust the narrator. I always do, I assume that what I am being told by the narrator is the truth but what happens if the narrator is too close to the story. It added a whole new layer to the book that I didn't see coming and was really happy with.



It is a story about what happens when a family gets wrapped up in a murder investigation, and the family relationships are really well written and explained. In the final third of the novel, Schrefer turns the whole plot on its head and really surprised me in a reader. He also does it in a really subtle way that added even more suspense.



I expected a straight forward murder mystery with some family drama thrown in, which I would have been fine with and enjoyed. What I got was more, and I couldn't put it down. This is a definite read for any mystery lovers out there.



I reviewed this book as part of the 1 ARC Tour.




This book goes toward my Summer Break Reading Challenge



If anyone else has reviewed this book leave a link in the comments. I would love to know what you thought.


No comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs