Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting


The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting Summary:

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.


Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.


Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.


Review:

I have no clue why but I seem to absolutely fall in love with debut authors the last two years and The Body Finder quickly added itself to my favorite books of 2010. The book is incredibly original and the best mix of mystery and love story I have read in a while. It is the perfect combination of edge of your seat thrill ride and heart-melting love story and I couldn’t put it down.

Violet has a gift I can’t even begin to imagine dealing with, she can sense dead bodies and also the imprints left on those who have killed. They appear as colors, smells or sounds and every one is different. To me this is the most original paranormal ability that I have come across, and there is a lot of paranormal out there right now. Her ability lands her smack in the middle of a murder investigation but it is hardly her biggest problem.

She is also in love with her best friend Jay and their relationship is so much fun to read about and Jay might be one of the best book boyfriends ever, while still being realistic. He isn’t perfect but he is awesome and incredibly protective of Violet, which is good because she goes off chasing murderers and that can lead to some sticky situations.

I also really like how much the setting of the book plays in to the plot. Mount Rainier and Lake Tapps and all the other locations become another character in the book and it really adds a lot. Derting’s description of them is amazingly well done.

I don’t often talk about covers but I really love this one. I think it is gorgeous and to me it looks like it could be one of the colors of echoes Violet sees on somebody. I also love that the cover for the sequel, Desires of the Dead has been released and it keeps the same theme. So pretty!

This book goes toward my Summer Break Reading Challenge and 2010 Debut Authors Challenge

7 comments:

Darlyn said...

I havent read the book yet but I have it on my pile. Like you, I love the 2nd book in the series too. Well, I like pink!

Josette said...

Actually I've been wondering what it was on the cover of the book. Is it a flower or something?

I've heard a lot about this book and would like to read it too. I already like the relationship between Jay and Violet. Hope he realises she's in love with him! Erm, or does he know it already? :)

Here via CEP.

Nat said...

I haven't read the book yet either but it's on my TBR list. I do love that cover though. Actually, Violet's ability reminds me a lot of Charlaine Harris' "Grave" series---where Harper Connelley can sense dead bodies and also how they've died. That was a great series so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too. Thanks for the review!

Manga Maniac said...

I'm from the CEP.

Great review. Now that I have read so much good buzz about this title, I have added it to my wishlist. Thanks!

Angela @ Reading Angels said...

I've had this book for awhile now and haven't had time to get to it. I really need to do that soon.
Thanks for the review (I love both covers too BTW)
Here from CEP

Mollie said...

I've been hearing such great things about this book! I can't wait to read it! Great review, glad you enjoyed it!

Here via CEP

Sara said...

I love this review! I'm glad you liked it. I definitely agree that it's one of my favorites of the year. It just has the perfect balance of mystery and love. I can't wait for the sequel to come out :)

Btw here from the CEP.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs