Sunday, August 22, 2010

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers


Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers Synopsis:
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance—even her closest friends—and it seems her senior year will be more of the same...until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him. What she doesn't know is that Luc works in Acquisitions—for Hell—and she possesses a unique skill set that has the King of Hell tingling with anticipation. All Luc has to do is get her to sin, and he’s as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and the angel, Gabe, is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that Luc doesn’t get what he came for. And it isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just her soul. But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay…for all of them.

Review:
I have a confession to make. I am a little burnt out on fantasy and paranormal books. I made this fact known on twitter but I was urged by Sara from The Hiding Spot (who has an awesome blog, seriously check it out.) to read Personal Demons before I switched gears and read some contemporary. And I am quite glad I listened to her!

A girl on earth, Frannie, inexplicably drawn to two boys who happen to be an angel and a demon, it’s a great plot made even better with Desrochers style of slowly letting out pieces of each characters back story. Luc, the demon, and Gabe, the angel, are amazing characters, so similar despite the fact that they are literally polar opposites and a perfect set of guys to play tug of war over Frannie.

Frannie ended up being way more enjoyable and complex than I originally anticipated and I loved that about her. I also loved her relationship with her grandfather, which although a very small part of the book, created some of my favorite scenes.

You have to give a ton of credit to any author who can make you feel sympathy for a demon, and wish the angel would go away. I was firmly on team Luc so I that was my stance for much of the book, although not all.
Once I got in to this book I thought I had it figured out pretty quickly but consider me wrong again. Desrochers plot line goes somewhere I never saw coming and when you think she is done surprising you there is another twist at the very end that I loved.

Overall, the book is a great, original read with awesome characters that are written perfectly. Great job to Desrochers on writing such a fun, intriguing, sexy book as her debut novel! There will be two more books in the Personal Demons series so head over to Lisa’s website and learn all about them.

My favorite quote from the book was the very first line: “If there is a hell on Earth, it’s high school.”

Personal Demons will be released Sept. 14, 2010.

I read this book as part of the Book It Forward ARC Tours.

This book goes toward my Summer Break Reading Challenge and 2010 Debut Authors Challenge

5 comments:

Amelia said...

Whoa, looks good! I usually don't go for angel/demon books but hey, this looks really good. :) But darn! I thought it was already out! September 14th? SEPTEMBER 14TH?!

*sigh* Oh well. I'll live....probably. XD

Great review!

-Amelia

Hikiola Kahikina said...

I love your review of personal demons and I am reading it right know. It is one of the best books about angles and demons that I have read so far and am cralling out of my skin just to finish it!

;) CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!!!

Unknown said...

MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
Hire a man and van Liverpool

Gemstelecom said...

welland internet Gemstelecom provide the best quality internet service in Welland get you internet package according to your use.

Gemstelecom said...

internet welland
Gemstelecom provide the best quality internet service in Welland get you internet package according to your use.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs