Saturday, August 7, 2010

Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love


Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love
Full of dark seduction and modern romance, this short story collection presents a variety of talented voices sure to satisfy every werewolf, ghost, fallen angel, zombie, and shape-shifter’s dark desires.

Review:
I can’t say I have read a lot of short stories for fun. I read a ton as an English major in college (and I loved so many of them) but I never really thought to read them as part of my pleasure reading. Well I am glad I picked up this anthology as there are some great stories in there from some authors I really like. I have a minor confession, I had never read anything by any of the authors in this book. There are so many great titles out by this collection of writers, many in my TBR pile but every single word in this book was from an author new to me. I will say that I will quickly be playing catch up on many of these authors after loving the short stories. I also think Trisha Telep did a great job collecting phenomenal stories and put them together in a cohesive, enjoyable way.

I don’t want to review each, individual story, and I don’t think you would like if I did that so I will give you my personal highlights.

Favorite overall story: The Assassin’s Apprentice by Michelle Zink. The very first one.

Story that gave me the creeps (in a good way): Behind the Red Door by Caitlin Kittredge. This story gave me goosebumps and yet I couldn’t put it down. Great stuff.

Story I didn’t love: Errant by Diana Peterfreun. I guess unicorns aren’t my thing. But I can say I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t like it as much as the others. The writing is still phenomenal.

Most Suprising Story: The Spy Who Never Grew Up by Sarah Rees Brennan. This story is about Peter Pan, and it is amazing. I really didn’t see that coming.

Funniest Story: Familiar by Michelle Rowen. This was sweet and funny and a perfect way to lighten the mood after some of the really creepy stories.

Story That Makes Me Want To Read Everything Else By The Author: Fearless by Rachel Vincent. It was really original and further reminded me that this is an author I have to investigate!

I reviewed this book as part of the Book It Forward ARC Tour.

If you have read/reviewed please leave your links in the comments as I would love to know what everyone else thought!

1 comment:

Sharyla said...

I'm not a big fan of short stories myself, though there's a couple books out there that I've tried (the Enchanted books) and enjoyed. I might just have to add this one to my list.

Great review!

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs