Thursday, April 16, 2009

Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty


Synopsis:
Jessica Darling’s in college!

Things are looking up for Jessica Darling. She has finally left her New Jersey hometown/hellhole for Columbia University in New York City; she’s more into her boyfriend, Marcus Flutie, than ever (so what if he’s at a Buddhist college in California?); and she’s making new friends who just might qualify as stand-ins for her beloved best friend, Hope.

But Jessica soon realizes that her bliss might not last. She lands an internship at a snarky Brooklyn-based magazine, but will she fit in with the überhip staff (and will she even want to)? As she and Marcus hit the rocks, will she end up falling for her GOPunk, neoconservative RA . . . or the hot (and married!) Spanish grad student she’s assisting on a summer project . . . or the oh-so-sensitive emo boy down the hall? Will she even make it through college now that her parents have cut her off financially? And what do the cryptic one-word postcards from Marcus really mean?


Review:
I have struggled a little with this series because everyone seems to love it so much and while I like it I have yet to become really attached to it. I didn't really like Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings got a lot better for me but I wasn't completely hooked yet. And unfortunately Charmed Thirds didn't get me all the way to Jessica Darling fangirl either.

What I liked: I liked that Jessica wasn't the whiny brat from the first book and she shows real maturity in how she handles her personal relationships. I really enjoyed the further exploration of her relationship with her sister and that she makes friendships and relationships with people at college that are very true to the college experience. I also loved the moment with her father around Christmas. I also continue to love Bridget and Percy. They are for sure my favorite characters.

What I disliked: We never really get to see her and Marcus happy and together. They are together at the beginning but they live on separate coasts and have the natural problems that come with that. And by the end of the book they are happily together again. I don't want to give away too much of the plot but I wish I got more than a few pages of them together and happy.

I find myself annoyed while reading these books and then at the end of them my overall feeling is that I like them. Which makes the reviews really hard to write. I am getting Fourth Comings from Korianne soon and can't wait to see what kind of mixed emotions McCafferty can draw from me this time.

This book counts toward my Library Challenge

4 comments:

JRTR said...

I used to wish my name was Jessica Darling. Haha. I also used to wish that my life would kind of turn out like this - move to New York City go to Columbia, get an internship - guess two out of three ain't bad.

I am like 15 pages away from finishing the you know what series. Hope to have something for you soon! Although, no promises. Sister coming tomorrow probably means not to much on the computer time.

Ladytink_534 said...

I believe this is the first time I've heard of this one. It sounds like an interesting series, I may have to give it a try.

Becky said...

I actually have this in my TBR pile, so couldn't read your post too closely. Didn't want to find out anything accidentally! :) I'll be back to see what you said and compare notes at a later date...

Alix said...

I'm having kind of the same reaction with these books. I didn't love Sloppy Firsts but something about it made me want to read the second one. Then the second has made me order the third from the library. I don't love it enough to buy it but there's definitely something about it.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs