Saturday, February 21, 2009

Weekly Geek - Character Interviews

Character Interviews
This week we are going to continue with the theme started last week and go even further exploring our favorite book characters.

Many of us have had an opportunity to interview an author, mostly through email, but perhaps even on the phone or in person. In fact, many of you have become experts at author interviews. So this week, let's pretend that we can get in contact with one of our favorite characters and interview them. What would you ask Mr. Darcy if you could send him an email. What would his answers be like? What would you say if you could just call up Liesel or Rudy from The Book Thief and ask them anything? How would they answer your questions? What if you could invite Jo March or Anne Shirley to lunch, what would the conversation be like?

So blog about that imagined conversation, or phone discussion, or email exchange. Of course, there may be lots of things we'll have to make up or imagine them saying. But many things we should be able to figure out their answers just from what we know of them in their respective books.


Ok, so while I love Weekly Geeks I am having a little trouble with this one. If it was just to come up with questions for my favorite character that would be fine, I have a thousand questions and I immediately wanted to do Kinsey Millhone from Sue Grafton's alphabet series. But here is where my problem started. As much as I love the character and know all that I can from reading the series, in my opinion only the author can speak on behalf of the character. Especially in the case of Kinsey because Grafton is still writing the series and she refuses to release the series to Hollywood because she doesn't want the character interpreted by any one else. So out of respect for that I gathered some of my favorite character interviews done by the author and I will link to them. Hope you understand my reasoning and enjoy!

Here is the interview with Sue Grafton where she explains why she won't release Kinsey to Hollywood, and therefore, why I won't pretend to know the character's answers to anything.

Presenting Lenore did an interview recently with A.S. King, author of Dust of 100 Dogs, and the character Saffron.

The Book Muncher did one with A.S. King and the character Emer Morrisey

This is a really cool case where author Micol Ostow created blogs for her characters in the Bradford Novels.

Here Micol also created a back to school playlist for her character Jeremy

This is a fun interview between Micol's MADISON TAKAHASHI and Melissa Walker's character Violet

I know there are more out there but these are the ones I could find. Hope you enjoy! and I can't wait to read everyone elses interviews.

9 comments:

Kerrie said...

Erika, I thiught it was an impossible task too, but once I got started I realised it was easier than I had expected

Jenners said...

I have to check out that Sue Grafton interview ... I just love Kinsey Millhone! I'm thinking the next one should be out soon!

Ana S. said...

I think I'll pass this week too, though for slightly different reasons. I think it can be fun for a reader to "speak" for the character (in a non-lucrative context, of course), but basically that amounts to doing some creative writing of our own, and I'm NO good at that :P I know some authors are uncomfortable with that, and I'd respect their wishes too, but others really don't mind!

The Bookworm said...

I've heard of Sue Grafton. I've never read her work, but I have heard good things :O) thanks for the links.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Frankly I had fun doing it!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I really enjoyed doing the interview with Amy. She is so creative!!

Micol Ostow said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Erica! One of my favorite things about Bradford has been having the time to create an entire online universe for all of our characters. Letting Madison interview Violet of Melissa Walker's "Violet" series was fun. We also ran an interview on our blog bash with Raisin Rodriguez, star of "The Secret Blog of Raisin Rodriguez."

Dorte H said...

I didn´t do it either, but for other reasons. I enjoyed the interview with Sue Grafton, however. It is a great series.

Dreamybee said...

Wow, that's pretty impressive in this day and age for an author to be that committed to her characters and, really, to her readers as well since she mentions not wanting to mess with her readers' perceptions of her Kinsey either. So, good for you for carrying on in that vein as well; I don't know if I would have been able to resist!

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs