Saturday, February 7, 2009

Weekly Geek - Book Covers

Judge a Book By Its Cover!

This week it's all about judging books by their covers! Pick a book--any book, really--and search out multiple book cover images for that book. They could span a decade or two (or more)...Or they could span several countries. Which cover is your favorite? Which one is your least favorite? Which one best 'captures' what the book is about?



I chose Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck because it is my all time favorite book and I was curious what covers were out there.

The first image is the original 1962 hardcover from The Curtis Publishing Company. I had never seen this one before and I think it is my favorite. It has the three key elements of the book, John, Charley and the RV they rode around in.

The second image is the 1994 audio book cover and my least favorite. It just doesn't say anything about the book.

The third is a 2001 Penguin edition released in the UK. While I like the photograph used I just prefer the other covers. The sketches speak more to the book in my opinion. It is totally a matter of personal taste.

I have copies of the fourth and fifth book covers. The fourth is a 1963 printing from Bantum Book and I found it at a little used book store a few years ago. It is barely still in one piece but I love it. The fifth is the US Penguin cover, originally released in 1980 but it is the cover used for all reprints now. I bought one of these just to have and be able to read since my other copy is more of an antique.

I think the first, fourth and fifth covers are all great and fit the book well. But I think the first is my favorite because it really gives the old-time, classic feel that I get from Steinbeck's writing. And it is one the reasons I love this book. Seriously, if you haven't, read this book.

What covers have you discovered?

11 comments:

claire said...

I really like the one you don't like, the second one. :) Not anything to do with the story as I haven't read it, but I love the design. Okay.. I'll think about reading this.. The only Steinbeck I've read is The Pearl.

Gavin said...

I love the fourth one. It's the one I read in high school.

gautami tripathy said...

I have not read it. Would like to someday. Like the fourth one best.

Covered!

The Bookworm said...

Nice covers, I havent read this one yet. I liked Of Mice and Men though.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Kerrie said...

Each of them has a different feel about it dosen't it? I think I like the first one on the far left

Unknown said...

I like the middle one best, but don't know whether it reflects the book's contents, as I haven't read this one, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Jo said...

I like the second one best.

pussreboots said...

My Travels with Charley book had an old car on the cover. Thanks for stopping by!

Kim said...

I have never read this. In fact I have read very little Steinbeck--something having to do with a little thing of being FORCED to read Grapes of Wrath while in high school! I suppose since I am now 47 years old, it is time to give up that little grievance and give this author a second chance!
The first and original cover is the one I pick for the best--very classic looking and points me back to the era of when it was written......

Okay. Now you have gotten me in trouble. I just went over to amazon to check out this book and found myself compelled to buy it. I bought a used copy with the original cover--a 9th printing of it. My husband is going to be a tad upset with me--more books in the house! ;)

*smiles*
Kim

Robin M said...

I like the last one - it seems to suit the book best. In my mind at least.

Ana S. said...

I haven't read the book yet, but I think my favourite is the first too.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs